I’ll be honest, I never allowed students to redo an assignment. Normally, I would try to create an additional assignment if a student did poorly the first time. However, I was reading an article in Educational Leadership that provided some good tips for what to do if a student is going to redo an assignment. Ideas like
- Ask student to write a brief letter comparing the original attempt with the new attempt.
- Ask students to submit a plan of relearning and to provide evidence.
- Require parents to sign the original, poorly done versions of assignments.
- Don’t average the two attempts. If the student has shown mastery so should the grade.
- Allow students to just redo portions of an assessment on which they performed poorly.
What are your redo policies?