Brook Haycock describes the importance of language for leaders in this PDK article. Our messaging can be as important as our message. In trying to motivate others, leaders can beat people down or inspire them. Hard truths are necessary but so is hope that the work that needs to be done can be accomplished.
- Be honest and forthright. People can tell if you’re hiding something.
- Be sincere. No one wants to feel they’re being manipulated.
- Be supportive. It’s a group effort, lead by example.
- Choose your words carefully. Always be professional.
- Be inspirational. What is the expectation? The vision? What is at the core of your message? It’s not just about numbers and procedures. What is it for you? What is it for your people?