I’m a fan for the use of technology. For those of you who know me and/or follow my twitter feed, @DrVicGonzalez, this comes as no surprise. However, I don’t consider myself a “technovangalist” because I do not believe that technology in the classroom is the salvation of public education. I firmly believe in the use of technology where it can be leveraged increase student learning. In, Public Online Charter School Students, the authors provide some additional insights regarding the effectiveness of online classes for students. Also, not surprisingly, students who do not do well in a “traditional” setting are not necessarily more likely to fare any better in an online environment. Students who struggle tend to struggle in class and online. Students still require additional supports for success in either environment. One area that an online course may have an advantage is supporting the monitoring of students by parents. Automated updates to parents were seen as a key factor in why parents selected an online school for their respective child. I am currently working on an online pilot which emphasizes those “other supports” to be provided by a “case manager”. We hope to see increased student success with those additional support provided. Stay tuned!
Education Related FeedMy Tweets
- President Donald Trump's administration forces asylum seekers to wait in Mexican cities before they can start the a… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 18 hours ago
- #ff : fightfor15 BREAKING: Six years after the first #FightFor15 strike, the U.S. House just passed the… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 days ago
- RT @LACountyLibrary: In celebration of the 50th anniversary of the first Moon landing, these children’s books are a… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 days ago
- #ff : edpolicyinca Calif school Super @TonyThurmond releases 1st-ever data on where public HS grads attend college.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 5 days ago
- Most Migrants at Border With Mexico Would Be Denied Asylum Protections Under New Trump Rule - The New York Times ow.ly/v64R30p8TfP 6 days ago