I’m a fan for the use of technology. For those of you who know me and/or follow my twitter feed, @DrVicGonzalez, this comes as no surprise. However, I don’t consider myself a “technovangalist” because I do not believe that technology in the classroom is the salvation of public education. I firmly believe in the use of technology where it can be leveraged increase student learning. In, Public Online Charter School Students, the authors provide some additional insights regarding the effectiveness of online classes for students. Also, not surprisingly, students who do not do well in a “traditional” setting are not necessarily more likely to fare any better in an online environment. Students who struggle tend to struggle in class and online. Students still require additional supports for success in either environment. One area that an online course may have an advantage is supporting the monitoring of students by parents. Automated updates to parents were seen as a key factor in why parents selected an online school for their respective child. I am currently working on an online pilot which emphasizes those “other supports” to be provided by a “case manager”. We hope to see increased student success with those additional support provided. Stay tuned!
Education Related FeedMy Tweets
- @MTBlack2567 I've wondered about the single column formatting and this explains it. I don't care for it but at leas… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 hour ago
- RT @MrJonCryer: Wearing body armor to protect themselves from… drag queens? 3 hours ago
- @MTBlack2567 Exorcist. He called himself Mr. Happy at first... 2 days ago
- RT @CivicRafa: We truly appreciate your support in bringing the global performing arts & memorable experiences to the people of LA! 4 days ago
- RT @_Nick_Diller: Yo wtf...just saw a stat that said only 30-50% of people have an internal dialogue. There's really 50%+ of the populatio… 1 week ago